Definitions of the following terms vary from source to source, so here follows a brief description of each service I provide. Most projects will fall partly in one category and partly in another. If what you need is not listed below, or if you’re not sure what you need, contact me.
- A final check of a document for obvious spelling/grammar errors. If I’m proofreading your work, it should already have been copyedited.
- In the proofreading step, especially for technical editing, I pay closest attention to formatting errors that might have slipped through to the final stage: inconsistent headers, indenting, list formatting, page numbers, etc.
- “Editing for grammar, spelling, punctuation and other mechanics of style; checking for consistency of mechanics and internal consistency of facts[.]” — from Editors’ Association of Canada page on “Definitions of Editorial Skills.”
- I will look at the work as a whole, as well as specific aspects (such as grammar). I may suggest elaboration on an unclear point, or rearranging structural elements to produce a more cohesive argument.
- If you are not a native English speaker, I will pay special attention to sentence structure and idiom and make suggestions to suit your work to an English-speaking audience.
- Includes grammar, spelling, and style checks (as for copyediting), but also focuses on technical aspects specific to the field.
- I will check tables, figures, and the use of field-specific terms.
- For knitting patterns, I will also:
- check charted instructions and confirm that they match written instructions (if applicable);
- check schematics and confirm that they match the measurements provided elsewhere in the pattern;
- if pattern is for multiple sizes, I will check that instructions for individual sizes match outcomes, and that sizes given match standard measurements; and
- check for consistency / standardization of abbreviations and symbols used in the pattern and charts.
My rates vary depending on the type of editing required, difficulty of the text, time frame, and other factors. First-time clients should contact me for a free estimate. I am pleased to offer a 15% discount to students.